The annual University City Photo Show will celebrate U City in Bloom’s thirty-year anniversary with a call for photos that reflect its efforts to beautify our community. Sponsored by the Municipal Commission on Arts & Letters of University City, the show is open to amateur adult and youth (12th grade and under) photographers in the St. Louis metropolitan area and in all Missouri counties.
The theme is “A Garden for All Seasons.” Photographs of the U City in Bloom gardens taken between September 1, 2014, through August 24, 2015, will be accepted. Photographs of private gardens in University City are also eligible, but must be submitted with written permission from the garden owner.
The 2017 University City community calendar will feature entries from this year’s photo show. The calendar committee will select a total of 13 outstanding photographs—one to represent each month and one photograph for the cover.
Entries and winners will be honored at a reception on Sunday, September 20, 2015, in the lobby of the city hall in University City at 6801 Delmar Blvd. The photos also will be displayed at the Green Center, 8025 Blackberry, from September 14-18 and at Royal Bank, 8021 Olive Blvd. from September 21-28.
• Traditional black and white and color.
• Digital manipulations: abstract, photo montage, hand coloring, innovative processes that test the limits of special effects.
• Smart phone/tablet photography. Always on, always at hand, and inconspicuous, today’s smart phones empower anyone to record the world in ever new and more personal ways.
• Photo assemblage (collage).
The possibilities for creativity are infinite. Remember that great imagery is hiding almost anywhere, if you look.Applications and complete registration rules are available below, on the commission’s website, www.universitycityartsandletters.org, and at all U City in Bloom events, starting with the annual plant sale April 24-26, 2015, at the Heman Park Community City at 975 Pennsylvania.
Rules of Competition
1. No photographs previously submitted to a University City photo competition will be accepted.
2. A $5.00 entry fee for youths and a $10.00 entry fee for adults must accompany all entries. Make your check payable to the Municipal Commission on Arts and Letters of University City.
3. All entries must be mounted on four ply or foam board (matting preferred) without frame or glass. If matted, the mat must be white or off-white.
4. Minimum print size is 8 in. x 10 in.; the maximum mounted size is 20 in. x 24 in. There is no minimum size for the innovative category, but the maximum remains 20 in. x 24 in.
5. Every print entered must be accompanied by a jpg on a CD or flash drive. Identify each with your name, title of print, dimensions, and locations of the garden. Please write your name, address, and phone number on the back of mounted prints and identify the CD or flash drive. PRINTS, CDs, AND FLASH DRIVES WITHOUT THIS INFORMATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
6. Mounted snapshots will NOT be accepted.
7. Entries received by mail will not be returned by mail unless accompanied by sufficient return post-age.
Entries may be mailed or delivered between August 24 and August 29, 2015, to: